Data breaches have significantly increased since the pandemic. While organizations did take precautionary measures to safeguard their infrastructure, it is not enough. Not only has this led to a substantial increase in ransomware attacks but also the cost associated with them.
As per a report from IBM, titled “Cost of Data Breach Report 2021,” the average cost of the breach has surged to USD 4.24 million in 2021 from USD 3.86 million. While organizations strengthen their infrastructure, streamlining their processes, they are failing to take basic precautionary measures, including the one backup.
Also Read: Are Enterprises Ready for Modern Cyber Threats?
With data breaches predicted to increase in the near future due to the sophistication of cyber-threats, it is good for organizations to emphasize on storage. On World Backup Day, Mar 31, 2022organizations should remind themselves of the basic cybersecurity hygiene which is to backup up their data. These practices will enable them to not only minimize their downtime but also mitigate risks while simultaneously improving their overall cybersecurity posture.
By incorporating robust best backup practices, organizations can be in a better position to stay ahead of their cyber-attackers. With ransomware attacks on the rise, organizations are much better off having backup in place that will enable them to avoid hefty costs associated with the data.
Also Read: The Significance of Data Destruction for Data Security
Here are a few best practices that organizations should incorporate to back up their data:
- Ensure that backups are current and contain all the critical information that the organizations require to restore their systems.
- Store the backup data in a secure location, preferably off-site.
- Do not forget to backup data existing in cloud applications.
- Organizations should ensure that their backup data is encrypted and cannot be altered.
- Doing backup on a frequent basis.
- Ensure to automate wherever possible. Organizations should monitor as well test their backups to test their integrity.
- Develop a backup communication plan to ensure that key stakeholders are aware of the procedures, timeline as well as responsibilities.
For more such updates follow us on Google News ITsecuritywire News. Please subscribe to our Newsletter for more updates.