Cloudflare, Inc. (NYSE: NET), a company committed to building a better Internet with security, performance and reliability, today announced the Cloudflare API Gateway, providing the company with a simple, fast and effective way to protect and control all their APIs (programming interfaces). Organizations are using APIs more than ever, but many are struggling to secure traffic across them because legacy solutions are often expensive, overly complex, and slow. Cloudflare API Gateway will simplify the process of identifying, securing, and managing any type of API on one of the largest and most connected networks in the world.
The world revolves around APIs—our phones, smartwatches, banking systems, and shopping sites all rely on APIs to communicate—and API traffic generates more than 50% of all HTTP requests on Cloudflare’s global network. This explosive growth means it’s now more important than ever that organizations of all sizes have robust protection and a clear view of their APIs. According to Gartner®: ” API security issues are the number one concern for most leading software developers, as unmaintained and unsecured APIs lead to vulnerabilities that can more easily lead to multi-million dollar security incidents.“However, traditional legacy solutions are often difficult to implement, expensive to operate and unreasonably slow. Cloudflare API Gateway now offers a central location that allows organizations to quickly discover APIs they weren’t aware of and secure them with just a few clicks.
Also Read: How to Build a Fool-Proof Threat Detection Program
“ When developing APIs, security was never a factor to consider. And yet today almost every app that a consumer or employee uses has APIs involved and often contains our sensitive personal data,” said Matthew Prince, CEO and co-founder of Cloudflare. “Every day, Cloudflare’s network blocks approximately 86 billion cyber threats for our customers. We are confident that no other API tool comes into contact with such a high volume of threats as we do. We’ve built next-generation AI and machine learning systems that take API management to the next level, automatically discovering new APIs and preventing threats. As with other Cloudflare products, the API Gateway does all of this at a fraction of the cost and without the latency that legacy solutions introduce.”
With Cloudflare API Gateway, organizations will be able to:
- Identify and Stop API Abuse: Leveraging Cloudflare’s unique machine learning engine, which processes more than 32 million requests per second, customers can now automatically analyze their API traffic to detect and prevent API abuse.
- Automatically discover unmaintained APIs: With the increasing use of APIs, developers can sometimes release APIs that security teams are unaware of. Cloudflare API Gateway passively scans the entire network and automatically enumerates API endpoints for complete transparency.
- Build and maintain APIs directly with Cloudfare staff: Customers can leverage integrations with Cloudfare staff to collaborate with us to build lightweight and dynamic APIs.
- Outsource authentication and approval: The gateway supports industry protocols such as OAuth 2.0 or JSON Web Tokens (JWT) and leverages authentication methods available in Cloudflare Access such as mutual TLS and service tokens.
- Seamlessly route, log, and meter API requests: Existing Cloudfare products such as Transform Rules will introduce native gateway functionality with no additional latency, allowing Cloudflare API Gateway to maintain the highest possible speed.
Schema validation, API discovery, mTLS, and API misuse detection are available today, and more capabilities will be added later this year. For more information about Cloudflare API Gateway, see the resources below:
For more such updates follow us on Google News ITsecuritywire News. Please subscribe to our Newsletter for more updates.